I like your font choice- nice. I am thinking of many uses for blogs - I like the idea of talking about books, and students blogging to each other. I am concerned though that it may be too public for elementary students. And, what do we do about editing, and revision?
I wonder about the editing for elementary students as well. I'm thinking of giving them time during library class (I have them for an hour) to comment on books. May need to utilize some parent volunteers.
I like this font, too. I'm trying to think of how I could use blogs with my elem students. The 5th graders would certainly have the ability, but would need parent permission for sure, and what if not all said "yes"? And not all have a computer at home. I could post assignments and maybe give time during the day to let them check. I think a person can follow someone else's blog without having one of their own, right? So I could post things for them to read...definitely have more to figure out about the blogging world, but I sure do see the potential!
Hope you had a great time with the family on Friday. I can't believe she is 14 already. I do hope the blogs are effective with our students in gaining vital information in their learning. I agree with you and Paige M, how are all students going to access the information if they don't have a computer at home? I do like the suggestion of allowing them on them computer sometime throughout the day and the use of parent volunteers to help create success.
I had no idea about RSS before reading the book and exploring this. I asked my senior daughter if she had heard of it and she said, "Yeah, because there's an APP on my phone for it." She then opened it up but said she never looked at it because she didn't know anything about it. I have the same phone as her so I'm assuming I can retreive from my phone. That is something I'll look in to. I'm not sure that this is something I'll benefit from. It seems like something you'd have to check daily to keep up on and I don't know if I can make the time for that. I guess I'll find out!
I did have some difficulty setting it up. I couldn't get the options as to where to send it from the UMW site. It just went to my favorites on my home computer with no option for anywhere else. But I was able to see all those options and understand what Anne was referring to when I tried from work.
This is my first try at this and I am excited to see how it will work. Can't wait to create another one for my elementary library!
ReplyDeleteI also am creating one for my math classes. I am anxious to see if the students utilize it.
DeleteGreat start! I love the background you picked it will be great for a Library blog.
DeleteI like your font choice- nice.
ReplyDeleteI am thinking of many uses for blogs - I like the idea of talking about books, and students blogging to each other. I am concerned though that it may be too public for elementary students. And, what do we do about editing, and revision?
I wonder about the editing for elementary students as well. I'm thinking of giving them time during library class (I have them for an hour) to comment on books. May need to utilize some parent volunteers.
DeleteI like this font, too. I'm trying to think of how I could use blogs with my elem students. The 5th graders would certainly have the ability, but would need parent permission for sure, and what if not all said "yes"? And not all have a computer at home. I could post assignments and maybe give time during the day to let them check. I think a person can follow someone else's blog without having one of their own, right? So I could post things for them to read...definitely have more to figure out about the blogging world, but I sure do see the potential!
ReplyDeleteI agree, Paige! Lots to think about before putting it all into action.
DeleteP.S. It's my Paige's 13th birthday today!
oops, 14th birthday, I have a hard time with my kids getting older :)
DeleteHope you had a great time with the family on Friday. I can't believe she is 14 already.
ReplyDeleteI do hope the blogs are effective with our students in gaining vital information in their learning. I agree with you and Paige M, how are all students going to access the information if they don't have a computer at home? I do like the suggestion of allowing them on them computer sometime throughout the day and the use of parent volunteers to help create success.
I really like your page showing a library. It makes you feel right at home!! :) I hope you had a great day with your daughter on her birthday!!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea about RSS before reading the book and exploring this. I asked my senior daughter if she had heard of it and she said, "Yeah, because there's an APP on my phone for it." She then opened it up but said she never looked at it because she didn't know anything about it. I have the same phone as her so I'm assuming I can retreive from my phone. That is something I'll look in to. I'm not sure that this is something I'll benefit from. It seems like something you'd have to check daily to keep up on and I don't know if I can make the time for that. I guess I'll find out!
ReplyDeleteI did have some difficulty setting it up. I couldn't get the options as to where to send it from the UMW site. It just went to my favorites on my home computer with no option for anywhere else. But I was able to see all those options and understand what Anne was referring to when I tried from work.
We have a lot to work on and figure out in this class. I find every assignment is an adventure in itself!
Delete