Thursday, March 15, 2012
Library Automation Systems
This is my first year working in a library and my first year having experience with an automation system. I am in an elementary library and we use Alexandria as our system. Alexandria was purchased and first used by our district about two years ago this spring. Before that a program called LibraryPro was used. I do remember when the switch was made there seemed to be a lot of headaches over glitches converting, especially since it was done during the school year with no time to plan for converting. There was a period of a couple of weeks when books could not be checked out or in and it took a lot of time. I have been very pleased with Alexandria for the most part, but maybe because I'm so new at it. I am discovering new capabilities all the time.
Alexandria is used for all circulation purposes, inventory, and as our OPAC for the students/staff.
The circulation statistics I have found can be very useful. It can show the most circulated books or rank books from most circulated to least. This can be done for the complete collection (takes a lot of time) or for a section. This is helpful when weeding. It can also show circulation statistics for individual patrons so teachers can monitor how often and what books students are checking out.
It has been very easy to manage patrons and items. There are help bubbles that pop up when hovering over areas to know what they are if needed. Adding and removing patrons is very simple. Our school uses Infinite Campus for student management and student information can be easily taken from that and transferred into Alexandria so all 375+ students can be done at one time and not individually. When adding new items, it searches for the item in the collection already and lets you add a copy easily if there is one. If there is not, it finds and imports MARC records that are very reliable. A picture of the cover is found quickly for almost all items.
Alexandria also does a complete collection analysis that is set up through Follett/Titlewave, for all materials, not just those purchased from them. This is a great tool that is useful for purchasing/weeding/building your library. It provides a thorough review of your collection according to section or age or circulation statistics.
The reports are use most often during the year are viewing and printing overdue lists for the students and teachers and printing labels for new books or books needing replacement labels. It took a little while to figure this out with putting the labels correctly in printer but now goes so smoothly.
I have seen a few things that I think could be improved upon. When searching for a book using the OPAC, the students really must spell fairly accurately. This can be a problem for elementary students. The subject searches that are provided at the bottom are somewhat helpful but searching for a title or author can be tricky. Also, Alexandria occasionally does updates. These can take a while and the system will be down or when it comes up something isn't working like it used to. However, customer service has been great! Being new, I have relied on them frequently. They have always answered when I've called and been very patient and helpful. They also have online support that I've only used once but it was helpful.
I think these systems should be evaluated every three to five years to see if they are meeting the needs of the users. However, a downfall I've noticed with switching, and maybe it was just the way it was done previously, is that there are no circulation statistics previous to switching to this system. When trying to do some weeding earlier this year, I could only go by the stats from the year and a half before. If systems are changed, this should be something that is looked at. I also think cost is a factor with schools having such tight budgets. I know the Alexandria for my school alone is approximately $2000/year. That's just one of five schools in my district.
All this said, I am very thankful libraries are going the automated route. It is much easier to maintain and the kids are using the OPAC that gives them a lot more information than a card catalog card ever did. It also provides more circulation statistics than the previous method.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Alexandria seems like it is a good fit for your library. It sounds like a good idea to evaluate these systems every three to five years to determine if they are fulfilling the needs of the user, because needs and directions can always change. Also with the new curriculum standards, the needs might change. I did not think about losing data like the circulation statistics, when you change systems. It might be a good idea to print that kind of information out before you switch. I like the OPAC feature, also. The Bozeman school district uses it and it is very helpful when collecting books for a specific unit.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds a lot like Destiny. I agree with the spelling issue it can be a problem with elementary students. And, I turned off the auto fill-in feature because kids write inappropriate words in the search field, and then when another student tries to search and uses the first letter- that word will come up. Converting is always fraught with problems, but no circulation for a couple of weeks-that would be difficult. And, done during the school year, I have to question that decision. When we switched from an older version to the newer web based Destiny all of our circulation stats where lost. All the books owned before we switched say added 2006. This was not good, and it does make weeding harder. I am wondering about the help bubbles that pop up. That could be a very good feature – especially when learning a new system.
ReplyDeleteYes, I turned off my auto-fill-in feature too for the same reason, Julie. Too bad because it would sure help.
DeleteIt is nice to see we are consistent with one area in our district. I do know that this system came about a couple of years ago because of the cost of the program, and seems to be a good fit thus far.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your experiences. In the first year people just normally get acquainted with the day-to-day functionalities -- what you need to get by, and then explore the more advanced options and reports later. You are ahead of the game!
ReplyDeleteInteresting that Alexandria can rank most to least checked out books and do so by section as well - that would be so helpful for weeding! I'll have to check to see if our Destiny system can do that.
ReplyDeleteYes, the spelling issue when doing searches is problematic for kids. I don't really get why Destiny doesn't do something like Google, which is to figure out what the user is trying to spell and make suggestions. It seems on Destiny it really has to be perfect, and that's not a good thing for elem students.
Yes! When we switched to Destiny in 2006 it wiped out ALL previous records! Well, actually now and then a very old date comes up but I don't know why. So we can't tell if a book was checked out before that date - very annoying. Sorry to hear that Alexandria does this too - it's definitely a deterrent to switching to a new system. I can't help but think there must be a way around it.
I am curious if any system can transfer circulation records so this is not lost when changing systems. This would definetly be a question to ask when purchasing. I am finding that circulation stats can be very useful when weeding and/or purchasing materials.
ReplyDeleteI have on my "to do" list to call tech support for Alexandria and ask about the spelling issue and if anything can be done to help the elementary kids. They do get a "did you mean ... " message but even then they sometimes don't know or it doesn't give them the correct words.